The Wild Rp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Roleplaying forum based around the story of life for nature after mankind's disappearance. (Image credit: Matthew Watts Art)

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Wild Series: Reign of Ashes (Main Page/Pridelands)

+2
Ruki
Jaystep
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 24  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 24]

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

Raiya was too focused on trying to hit a third Shade, that she barely heard the exchange with Moonpelt. They were about halfway down the mountain now, and the earthquakes continued to escalate. Raiya narrowed her eyes as another huge ripple in the mountain sent snow flying up into the air on all sides of the sled. This time, she noticed something. Under the snow, the land wasn't just splitting... it was moving. With the next quake, a huge chunk of black stone erupted from the ground.

Raiya slowly let the slingshot go, taking in the sight of the mountain as all across it more ripples continued, gaining pace. Suddenly, the ground shook once more, this time so much more intensely that the sled began to rumble with it. The Shades in the sky began streaming off in different directions. At first the wolf thought they were coming in to attack, but when they kept going she realized they were fleeing from something.

Raiya slowly opened her muzzle to say something, following the increasing massive ripples in the mountainside. ".... Guys...."

At the last quake, Raiya watched the snow fall away in several spots completely. Black stone the size of half the mountain revealed beneath. The snow fell away straight down the mountain around some object that lay beneath it, curving hundreds of feet away from the sled and touching the ground at the base of the mountain. Raiya followed the sight and visibly gasped as the form began to take shape. At the base of the mountain, previously hidden under the snow, came the raising of a gigantic scaled tail. Raiya followed the forms under the snow up the mountain with her gaze as she put the shapes together. the top half of the mountain rose from the ground, and that's when Raiya saw it. It wasn't a mountain at all...

They were sledding down a massive, mountain sized Dragon. The two black towers at the top rose from the ground, along with the rest of the Dragon's head. They had been his horns, Raiya realized, as it began to roar.

The wolf's scream was drowned out by the sound.

(#PlotTwist)

Last edited by Jaystep on Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.thewildrpseries.com

Ruki

Ruki
Wolf

((Holy cow I have no idea how to reply to this except for maybe:))

((Moonpelt: The Wild Series: Reign of Ashes (Main Page/Pridelands) - Page 5 D41702647dd6429cd572aeacd4447e2b ))

Wildwing

Wildwing
~Mod-chan~

Shocked Oh gosh...

Rinka: Shocked Shocked Shocked DSSADKLHFSD-!! *foams at the beak and faints*

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

(Is that really all you two could come up with? Lol )

Wildwing

Wildwing
~Mod-chan~

Rinka turned at the tone in Raiya's voice as she called their attention. Putting Moonpelt's driving aside, the falcon's worries had been increasing as the seismic activities on the mountain grew more violent. And now, seeing as the granddaddy of all dragons had just revealed itself to be the very mountain she and the other three were sledding down, she realized she had not been concerned enough. Rinka's eyes could not go any wider as she stared at the two horns on the back of it's monstrous head.
I was inside one of those, she thought faintly. And she had thought the tower had been huge.

The queen let out a scream of her own, unable to hear it, or even feel it, through the vibrations of the dragon's roar. She whipped around and screamed at Moonpelt, "CAN'T THIS THING GO ANY FASTER?!"
Though that was also drowned out by the overpowering roar. Even if the white wolf could have heard her, she knew it was no use. Even if the sled could go any faster than it already was, they still had miles of mountain-no, dragon slope to cover, and after reaching the bottom, the only other option for the wolves was to flee on foot. Rinka's mind was already playing through images of them getting crushed by the avalanches, or the surrounding, collapsing trees, before the sled could even reach the bottom. She knew that, the way they were traveling now, there would be little chance of surviving this escape. And so, she did the only other thing she could do besides hold on and hope for the best. She turned to Kale and shoved the Raven device into his talons before launching herself off the sled, her body taking on a blinding orange glow as she shot straight into the air. As the sled sped ahead without her, the orange around her form intensified in luminosity before all at once exploding outward, revealing a giant, majestic bird in the falcon's place.
Pale orange flames rolled off the long, sleek feathers of the same color of the female Phoenix, several spots of white igniting and dying, rippling across her body. Rinka extended her enormous wings and shot down after the escaping sled, which had covered a good amount of distance during her short transformation. She locked her pure white eyes onto the other members of her team and dove after them. She was all too aware of the avalanches behind her, and the collapsing trees in front of her.

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

(What do you mean you don't like your post? It's lovely!)

Kale could form no words when Rinka gave him the raven shard. So many thoughts rattled through his head, but nothing could match the rattling in his bones as the Dragon roared. Despite the pure insanity of the situation, Kale's calmness was beginning to come back to him. The Dragon finished it's roar, and began shaking the snow off its back. Its doing so shook the ground even more, sending piles of snow in all directions and several smaller avalanches erupting because of it. Trees and boulders fell of of its scales as it rose to its full height, but the most important thing Kale noticed was that the Dragon was unaware of them.

"Did she just abandon us?!" Raiya cried, watching Rinka take off with a look of confusion and horror.

It wasn't until Raiya yelled out that Kale understood Rinka's plan. With a flash of panic, he tried to look away from her transformation, but he was a moment too late as he started to squeeze his eyes shut. Catching a glimpse of her form was all it took for Kale to become fully entranced. His head turning to mush and his thoughts melting away, Kale stared up at Rinka's beautiful new form. She was the only thing that mattered now. 

Raiya watched Rinka's transformation closely, but it had no real mind-changing effect on her. The she-wolf looked away for a moment to see the path ahead, when she noticed Kale's dreamy gaze towards the Peregrine Phoenix. The falcon opened his wings as if to fly to Rinka, but Raiya quickly pinned him down with a paw on his talon. "Oh-ho, no ya don't! Did you forget the giant dragon?!"

Kale was stopped in his advance, but not willingly. He didn't even hear what Raiya had said. In his mind, he wondered why this useless lump of wolf fur was speaking to him when the most beautiful falcon he had ever seen was coming to save them.

Wildwing

Wildwing
~Mod-chan~

(Aw, thanks! ^.^ I guess I was a little hard on myself, wasn't I? Lol Now that I'm reading it through again, it really isn't too bad.)

(Ah! So Trance is still a thing! Cool! I was wondering about that, and now I have my answer! Lol So does it only affect birds then?)

Rinka dove parallel to the ground, unaware that it was rising to meet her until the snow that covered it touched her chest. Her fire melted the white, creating a long ditch through the snow she skimmed through until she thrust her wings, her large wings and her flames propelling her higher above the rising dragon's back before it could overtake her. The Phoenix had broken through the tree tops, though they still rose to meet her until the dragon had reached it's full height. For a heart stopping moment, she lost sight of her companions, only to spot them through a break in the trees. She tilted her body downward and dove for them once more, counting on her Phoenix Fire to grant her the speed she needed to reach them.

Entering the crumbling forest once more, she found she could not reach her top speed in her current form, or else she would be too broken to escape with Moonpelt, Raiya and Kale. She dodged and weaved past falling trees, almost getting crushed more times then not. She twisted her body and launched forward off of a boulder half her size at just the right moment. A second too late and it would have taken her out of the air.
Rinka spun and thrust her wings again, covering half of the distance between her and the sled ahead before having to rise above a small avalanche before it took her out. She expertly dodged more obstacles, quickly gaining on her friends.

During one of the brief moments where she could focus on the three instead of the elements viciously trying to down her, her gaze landed on Kale. She noticed the way he was trying to get to her and, after a split second of confusion, realized he was looking at her right then while she was in her Phoenix form.
"SNAP OUT OF IT, KALE!" she boomed, her Phoenix voice a deeper, richer sound than her normal falcon one. She would have been more specific if she weren't too busy trying to rescue them without crashing through the forest, but she hoped that would be enough to break the trance.

Ruki

Ruki
Wolf

Moonpelt was letting out a continuous, almost comedic, scream of horror as the sled barreled down the dragon's back. "BIG LIZARD. BIIIIIIG LIZARD!" he shrieked as the snow was dissipating and the dragon's rough scales were appearing. Through everyone's panic of Rinka jumping ship and the fact there was a dragon waking up under their paws the wooden contraption under the sled started to spark. It wasn't until smoke tickled the white wolf's nose that he realized that the fatal flaw of the Moon-Canon v1 was not removed.

"Raiya..." his voice was shaky. "I don't think we removed the thing.." and before he could finish the piece errupted into a fiery ball that shot the remaining trio into the sky. Kale simply opened his wings and caught air as the sled started plummeting back down to the dragon and left Moonpelt and Raiya howling as the sled crashed but somehow managed to keep sliding down the dragon's back. The steering mechanism was napped off and the sled had no way to be controlled. "LEAN RAIYA. LEAN LIKE WITH MOON-CANON V1!"

((If only a certain Phoenix queen would save these two...))

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

Kale snapped out of it alright, but not at Rinka's call. When the front of the sled exploded, it shot Kale into the air and he promptly opened his wings to keep him aloft. Unaware of what had happened before then, but now acutely aware of his new situation. 

"WHAT WAS THAT?!" Kale shrieked, looking about for what happened to the wolves. Raiya and Moonpelt did not answer as they screamed, huddling on the small part of the sled that remained mobile. 

Kale dove after the sled, aware of Rinka behind him but not wanting to look at her. They had almost reached the bottom of the mountain.

Wildwing

Wildwing
~Mod-chan~

(Give her a moment! Lol )

Rinka let out a startled squawk as the sled shot up and out of her reach. She watched the sled and the fiery ball beneath it, momentarily stunned. Then, gritting her beak, she shot right after them.
Kale was off the sled and diving ahead of her after the wolves, who were miraculously still on sled after it had touched back down. Rinka easily gained on them, hesitating as she approached Kale from the back. Then, quickly figuring out what she could do, she extinguished her flames and flew under the much smaller falcon.
"Grab on!" she ordered right as she passed under Kale. Then without stopping she flew directly over the wolves and grabbed them around the mid-sections. Raiya was in her right talon while Moonpelt was in her left. Now with the wolves in tow, she changed direction and shot up into the sky, leaving the Moon-Cannon V2 and the ground behind.

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

Wildwing wrote:(Give her a moment! Lol )

Rinka let out a startled squawk as the sled shot up and out of her reach. She watched the sled and the fiery ball beneath it, momentarily stunned. Then, gritting her beak, she shot right after them.
Kale was off the sled and diving ahead of her after the wolves, who were miraculously still on sled after it had touched back down. Rinka easily gained on them, hesitating as she approached Kale from the back. Then, quickly figuring out what she could do, she extinguished her flames and flew under the much smaller falcon.
"Grab on!" she ordered right as she passed under Kale. Then without stopping she flew directly over the wolves and grabbed them around the mid-sections. Raiya was in her right talon while Moonpelt was in her left. Now with the wolves in tow, she changed direction and shot up into the sky, leaving the Moon-Cannon V2 and the ground behind.
Kale instantly did as he was told, grasping onto Rinka's feathers and hunkering down. Since the flames were gone, he was under no trance. Unfortunately for him, this meant he was still in control of himself enough to look behind him to see the dragon. To his surprise, the massive dragon was now fully behind them, and they had cleared the mountainside with the two wolves in Rinka's talons. Now fully revealed, the huge obsidian colored dragon unfurled his wings, blocking out huge portions of the sun for anyone nearby. With a huge thrust of its wings, the massive beast began to take to the air and... 

Its leaving?! Where is it going?!

The dragon paid no attention to the Phoenix or wolves, or anything for that matter as it took off the remains of the mountain. With a second roar, it turned its focus to the horizon and began heading North.

Raiya of course, saw none of this as she was scooped up by Rinka. The she-wolf screamed for half a second before she realized who had taken her and Moonpelt. "... SOME WARNING NEXT TIME MAYBE!?"

Ruki

Ruki
Wolf

Moonpelt was frozen in the Phoenix Queen's talon. Eyes wide, mouth agape, and claws outstretched like he would do if he was walking in  the snow. One eye twitched slightly as his tail puffed up to be almost as wide as his body, and to note this was the first time in a long time that the wolf was not smiling or wagging his tail.

After a moment the wolf regained some feeling and felt the air rushing through his fur. "I died," he started and then speaking rapidly: "I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm dead. I died. I'm dead."

Blinking for a moment, he looked around and looked at Raiya. "Maybe for the Moon Canon v3 we add wings to it so if it explodes again we can glide to safety!"

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

Ruki wrote:Moonpelt was frozen in the Phoenix Queen's talon. Eyes wide, mouth agape, and claws outstretched like he would do if he was walking in  the snow. One eye twitched slightly as his tail puffed up to be almost as wide as his body, and to note this was the first time in a long time that the wolf was not smiling or wagging his tail.

After a moment the wolf regained some feeling and felt the air rushing through his fur. "I died," he started and then speaking rapidly: "I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm dead. I'm dead. I died. I'm dead."

Blinking for a moment, he looked around and looked at Raiya. "Maybe for the Moon Canon v3 we add wings to it so if it explodes again we can glide to safety!"
Still panicking in terror at being so high in the air, Raiya did not take kindly to Moonpelt's nonsense. Hearing his suggestion, she just looked at him in disbelief for a long time, her left eye twitching slightly.

Wildwing

Wildwing
~Mod-chan~

Jaystep wrote:
Wildwing wrote:(Give her a moment! Lol )

Kale instantly did as he was told, grasping onto Rinka's feathers and hunkering down. Since the flames were gone, he was under no trance. Unfortunately for him, this meant he was still in control of himself enough to look behind him to see the dragon. To his surprise, the massive dragon was now fully behind them, and they had cleared the mountainside with the two wolves in Rinka's talons. Now fully revealed, the huge obsidian colored dragon unfurled his wings, blocking out huge portions of the sun for anyone nearby. With a huge thrust of its wings, the massive beast began to take to the air and... 

Its leaving?! Where is it going?!

The dragon paid no attention to the Phoenix or wolves, or anything for that matter as it took off the remains of the mountain. With a second roar, it turned its focus to the horizon and began heading North.

Raiya of course, saw none of this as she was scooped up by Rinka. The she-wolf screamed for half a second before she realized who had taken her and Moonpelt. "... SOME WARNING NEXT TIME MAYBE!?"

Ruki wrote:Moonpelt was frozen in the Phoenix Queen's talon. Eyes wide, mouth agape, and claws outstretched like he would do if he was walking in  the snow. One eye twitched slightly as his tail puffed up to be almost as wide as his body, and to note this was the first time in a long time that the wolf was not smiling or wagging his tail.

Rinka turned her head as she flew away to see if the dragon had seen them. She felt so relieved when she realized it hadn't. Then, as the dragon began to fly, the Phoenix Queen turned fully around to face it and hovered in the air as she watched it head North.

Where is it going? she asked silently, now worried for the creatures living wherever that dragon was headed. There was a part of her that wanted to follow that dragon. In fact, maybe she should...

She glanced down at the wolves in her talons with a frown, and mentally pictured the falcon on her back. As much as she wanted to follow it and stop it from creating havoc, she didn't want to risk the lives of her friends anymore than she already had today. They needed a break, and dragging them along on another mission right after finishing one was not the way to give them that break. There were also other things that had to be done, responsibility after responsibility popping in her head as she hovered there and thought about it. Besides, what could she do against something that huge? She was only a fraction of it's size, and if it came down to a fight... It wouldn't even be a fight, would it? But still...those animals in the North...

She had to worry about it later. She would keep an ear out for news about this dragon and figure out what to do about it later. For now, she would return to her city with her friends, just as planned.

At Raiya's exclamation, Rinka flinched and looked down at the wolf in her right talon in surprise.
"Uh...S-Sorry," she stammered in embarrassment, "But there was that dragon and it kind of was an emergency, so I hope you can understand..."
The Phoenix abruptly stopped trying to explain herself when she realized there really was nothing to be sorry for. Though she still felt bad for causing the wolves terror. She turned and began gliding for the ground, planning to cover as much distance as she could before landing.

At Moonpelt's sudden statement, Rinka looked sternly down at the white wolf.
"Or you could remove the thing the caused it to explode in the first place," she remarked. She opened her beak to say something else, but after further thought, she decided not to say it and instead turned her attention to the falcon on her back. "Kale, do you still have the Shard?"

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

The ground had finally stopped shaking when the Dragon had left, and the snow had begun to settle. The instant they were set down on the other side of the frozen river, safe from the snows, Raiya wriggled out of the Phoenix's talons. She bounded a few steps away and then shook vigorously, getting the frost and fear off of her pelt. 

Kale nodded to Rinka and spoke up as they came to the ground. "Y-yeah, I've got it..." 
The falcon fluttered off of Rinka's back and landed a few feet next to Raiya, clenching the Shard in his talons as he stared after the dragon. He wondered who would be the first person to remark about their situation as he stood still. The words Rinka had spoke to him earlier rang back into his head as he stood still, waiting for them to decide what to do next. He suddenly had a great longing to return to the nest in his hollow and never come back out.

Wildwing

Wildwing
~Mod-chan~

Rinka released her hold on the wolves after coming to the ground, watching after Raiya with a look of amusement in her eyes. She waited until Kale was off her back before closing her eyes and reverting back to her falcon form, her body enveloping in a glow of pale orange light as she transformed. She landed on the snow, sinking down slightly, before opening her eyes and looking around. She looked to Kale, then at the Shard in his talons. Her expression became troubled, her gaze still on the Shard as she was taken back to the memories of the visions she had been shown. She became momentarily oblivious to everything going on around her, those visions still having a strong impact on her. She would not be the first to say something about their situation.

Last edited by Wildwing on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ruki

Ruki
Wolf

Moonpelt's tail wagged started to wag slightly. "That could have been worse!" he barked enthusiastically when his ears perked up as the sound of something sliding on the ice. He turned his head and the remnants of the Moon-Canon skidded to a halt on the frozen river. The speed of his tail picked up. "The Moon-Canon! It's okay-!" 

And before he could even step a paw out on the ice to retrieve it the sound of cracking halted him as the ice around the Moon-Canon gave-way to it's weight and busted, the wooden contraption falling into the water and sinking to the riverbed, expelling a few bubbles of air before the water was still again.

"Aw man," Moonpelt sighed, ears drooped slightly. "There goes the Moon-Canon, and the last of our silver..."

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

Ruki wrote:Moonpelt's tail wagged started to wag slightly. "That could have been worse!" he barked enthusiastically when his ears perked up as the sound of something sliding on the ice. He turned his head and the remnants of the Moon-Canon skidded to a halt on the frozen river. The speed of his tail picked up. "The Moon-Canon! It's okay-!" 

And before he could even step a paw out on the ice to retrieve it the sound of cracking halted him as the ice around the Moon-Canon gave-way to it's weight and busted, the wooden contraption falling into the water and sinking to the riverbed, expelling a few bubbles of air before the water was still again.

"Aw man," Moonpelt sighed, ears drooped slightly. "There goes the Moon-Canon, and the last of our silver..."
The sound brought Kale out of his thoughts, and he turned to gaze just as the sled fell into the water. Despite the situation, a small smile twitched at the tips of his beak. 

Finally...

Raiya sighed in exasperation at their luck, frowning after the Moon-Canon. "Well... that's just... ugh! And we lost the silver! Kale tell me you have good news because this day has just been..."

Kale turned to the wolf with a sarcastic shrug, "Oh, what? Was it the mountain sized dragon or the near death snow-slide? Or was it the Shades? Nah, the day's been perfect!..... Actually to be serious, I will have good news shortly. I'll take the Shard back to my hollow, and let you know when I've got the whole thing working. Then we'll go after--"

"Drellan!" Raiya beamed, her tail waving slightly.

"--Everyone who's missing." Kale finished with a nod.

Wildwing

Wildwing
~Mod-chan~

Rinka snapped out of her thoughts as well and turned to watch the Moon-Canon sink beneath the ice. For some reason, she was overcome by a feeling of relief...

The falcon kept her gaze toward where the Moon-Canon had disappeared while she listened to Kale and Raiya speak. When the male had finished, she looked toward him with a gentle smile, but eyes touched by worry.

"In that case, we should head back that way as soon as we can," she said with a nod, "Is everyone okay to travel? Do we need to take a break before we go, or are we good to go right now?"

Ruki

Ruki
Wolf

Wildwing wrote:Rinka snapped out of her thoughts as well and turned to watch the Moon-Canon sink beneath the ice. For some reason, she was overcome by a feeling of relief...

The falcon kept her gaze toward where the Moon-Canon had disappeared while she listened to Kale and Raiya speak. When the male had finished, she looked toward him with a gentle smile, but eyes touched by worry.

"In that case, we should head back that way as soon as we can," she said with a nod, "Is everyone okay to travel? Do we need to take a break before we go, or are we good to go right now?"

Moonpelt flopped over on his back, looking up at the Falcon Queen. "Ugh.. can you carry us?" He rolled over and lied on his stomach. the cold snow not bothering him whatsoever. "Please?"

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

Wildwing wrote:Rinka snapped out of her thoughts as well and turned to watch the Moon-Canon sink beneath the ice. For some reason, she was overcome by a feeling of relief...

Kale said nothing at first, and nodded in Rinka's direction. "Enjoy your trip. I'll contact you in a few days when I've found their points of return..."

As his hollow was in the opposite direction from Rinka's refuge, Kale bid his farewell and promptly began to leave. He didn't want to risk any of Rinka's questions, and he wasn't about to let her know what he thought of her message. He needed a quick way out of the conversation. Luckily, Moonpelt had just provided him with one. As soon as the wolf started talking, the falcon lighted off from the ground in the direction of his distant hollow.

Raiya gave Moonpelt a terrified look. "Hey, I hate walking too, but I'm not travelling by giant bird ever again!... er, no offence."

Wildwing

Wildwing
~Mod-chan~

Ruki wrote:

Moonpelt flopped over on his back, looking up at the Falcon Queen. "Ugh.. can you carry us?" He rolled over and lied on his stomach. the cold snow not bothering him whatsoever. "Please?"

Jaystep wrote:

Kale said nothing at first, and nodded in Rinka's direction. "Enjoy your trip. I'll contact you in a few days when I've found their points of return..."

As his hollow was in the opposite direction from Rinka's refuge, Kale bid his farewell and promptly began to leave. He didn't want to risk any of Rinka's questions, and he wasn't about to let her know what he thought of her message. He needed a quick way out of the conversation. Luckily, Moonpelt had just provided him with one. As soon as the wolf started talking, the falcon lighted off from the ground in the direction of his distant hollow.

Raiya gave Moonpelt a terrified look. "Hey, I hate walking too, but I'm not travelling by giant bird ever again!... er, no offence."

Rinka turned to Kale and opened her beak to ask him to wait a moment, but before she could she was distracted by Moonpelt. She looked to the white wolf and the moment she turned her head she heard the sound of departing wing beats. She knew Kale had left before she even looked back over her shoulder. The queen watched the male depart for a moment with a frown, disappointed that she couldn't ask him what she wanted to. She considered calling him back before the wolves caught her attention once again. With a sigh, she turned her back to Kale and looked to Moonpelt and frowned in discomfort. "I...Honestly, I would. We would be traveling faster if I carried you both. But I have to be in my Phoenix form in order to do that, and if anyone who happened to be allied with the dragons were to see me... I don't want to risk leading them to the city." She then gave Raiya an amused smile. "And none taken. I completely understand."

Ruki

Ruki
Wolf

Moonpelt let out a disgruntled sigh as he flopped over dramatically. "Alright! I guess we'll walk!" he huffed.

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

Raiya let out a long sigh, thinking about the two day journey they had to get back home. "Well, we better start running then. The sooner we get home, the sooner we can rest. And when we wake up tomorrow maybe Kale will have news. I wished he had said goodbye though... something seemed odd about him. I mean he's always quiet, but he seemed... I don't know... he'll be alright. We're alright too! Better then that, in a few days I'll have parents again, and King Tyrin will be back!"

Kale got far enough from the group to let his panic really set in. The falcon grasped the Shard in his talons tightly as he locked his gaze to the distance, his eyes brimming with scared tears. Five moons!

I have five moons left to live. And so much to get done before then.

(Wild, your post can end the prologue. Smile Just mark it in big bold letters at the bottom of your post, and tag it with "ROAChapterEnd" I want to do that so we can jump back to certain points if we want to re-read something)

Wildwing

Wildwing
~Mod-chan~

Rinka churred at Moonpelt before turning her attention to his niece. She felt a twinge of worry in her stomach for Kale, nodding along in agreement with Raiya as she spoke. She opened her beak to vocalize her agreement, but the young wolf continued speaking.

"-and King Tyrin will be back!"

The queen fell silent at the mention of her deceased love, tears immediately prickling in her eyes. She shut her beak and swallowed, fighting to keep back her emotions. After a moment she forced a smile, nodded, and turned around so the wolves wouldn't see her face. "...Y-Ya! I'm happy for you!" she said enthusiastically, her voice containing no trace of the darkening sorrow in her chest. She spread her wings and lifted gently off the ground. "Well, off we go!"

The female falcon lifted higher above the ground and started forward, trusting the wolves to follow after her. Even though she knew they could not see her face, she struggled desperately to keep the water in her eyes from falling.

Tyrin... You lost your last life that day, and The Key can't bring you back. Not anymore. I want to believe... I want so badly to believe that you and our hatchlings can be brought back, even after these three long years but... I... If I do, and it doesn't work, even after it is assembled, I... I can't...

...But I saw you. You and one of our daughters. Does that mean you all can be... What did that mean? What did seeing you both there mean?

...I don't know what to think...

((End of Chapter))

(#ROAChapterEnd)

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

(#ROAChapter1Start)

((CHAPTER ONE: FRACTURED))

And for the final query of the day, I'd like to answer a letter sent to me recently. If you keep up on these monthly Journals, you will remember sweet little Faerya, the Barn Owl Hatchling who sent us that wonderful drawing last Winter. Little Faerya is feeling down lately. You all know the state of the world we live in, so I'm sure I don't have to mention why. For her sake, I will let your imaginations do the work, and suffice it to say she is no longer happy. Well Faerya, I'm here to tell you that you must stop that at once. No matter how dark the night, no matter how loud the storm or how cold the wind, you must always press on. There will be a light for your dark days. There will be comfort from the rain and thunder. There will always be a hollow to wait out the cold. Little Faerya, no matter what happens in life, you will always survive if you hold on to the one thing that can never be stolen: Hope. 

Don't lose hope little hatchling. The rains are slowing, and the sun is rising. Long live the Queen.

The Wild Series: Reign of Ashes (Main Page/Pridelands) - Page 5 Phoeni11

Kale let out a long sigh, leaning back on his perch to examine the scroll splayed out on his desk. He smiled with satisfaction, placing his quill back beside his inkwell and sliding them both into a small a nook where the carved desk connected with the wall of his hollow. The Peregrine Falcon blew gently on the parchment for a moment, drying the ink with shining eyes. When he was confident, he carefully rolled the scroll into a loose form and placed in on the other side of the desk in pile of a dozen more. As he looked away from the desk for the first time in hours, he became aware of how bleary eyed he really was. 

Kale gave a light shake of his head, turning to gaze out of the nearby window. 
Nearly dawn. Another night spent in my scrolls! I'll have to sleep later, but first...

Kale yawned lightly, rubbing a blue-cream colored wing over his eyes. He hopped from his perch down to the wooden floor, and made his way over to the wall opposite the window. There, delicately placed on the wall at his eye-level, was a slab of glass different from the window that instead reflected rather than show what was behind it. He had seen a few set-ups like this in ancient Human dwellings, and Kale had guessed it's purpose correctly. As he gazed into the mirror, the bird was appalled at his own appearance. Ink stains, un-preened head feathers, and bits of parchment still clung to his chest. He frowned, and promptly moved over to his basin of water to get to work on himself.

When he was finished and satisfied, he smiled into the mirror once again before turning to examine the rest of his hollow. Kale sighed as he looked at the mess of the place. Both bookshelves nearly empty, the books strewn about his nest from where he fell asleep reading. His desk was full of unfinished stacks of paper, waiting to be converted to books. The bird went to those first, tucking a stack of papers labeled 'Battle Tomes' under his desk next to a smaller stack, 'Storm and Stone'. 

He moved about the hollow, tidying where he could and hiding what he needed to. Books were placed back on the shelves, behind them were placed unmarked papers and letters. Under his nest was a hole where he scooted a pair of books underneath, both hollow and secretly containing small pieces of Raven technology. Inside one was what Kale believed to be another power source for the Soul Key, and another book held the Raven's Rift Tracking Disk, which he had finally assembled a week before. It had been nearly a moon since he last saw the Queen and her wolf friends, and this was the special day he was waiting for. According to his calculations, anytime now the Rifts would re-open, and the disk would spring to life and show him the real-time location of them. but today wasn't just special because of that, oh no... today was...

Kale blew swiftly on the lit candle, closing his eyes as he did. When it was out, he smiled and opened his eyes again. On the small table before him was a small biscuit-like piece of food made from berries and bits of fresh-kill. He had made it himself the night before. 

"Happy Hatchday, Kale..." He whispered to himself, a shine in his eyes as he delicately moved the candle aside, and gulped down the small treat in a few bites. When he was done, he looked about the empty hollow one last time, admiring the cleanliness. The sun shone out the several windows, and he realized he had spent the whole morning cleaning. 

No more work today. I'm going hunting, then I'll settle down with the next book in the Ice-Falcon saga, and finally find out if Jazan can rescue her mate before the SnowHearts take over all of Glacia! 

Kale grinned, letting out an excited tapping of his talons on the wood floor before he fluttered to the metal door at the entrance. It had the appearance of wood, but was actually made of pure silver. Kale believed in never being too safe. Just as he set a talon on the hook to open the door of his hollow, he froze. 

From somewhere high up, a wingbeat sounded. Then another. Too large to be bird or Phoenix, and just the right sound to be-

Agathar! He found me! 

Kale backed from the doorway, feathers bristling as his head snapped to the window. In a flash, he was there, and pulled the moss covering over it. He quickly moved to another window and did the same, spilling ink over his desk as he did. He moved to the third window when the sunlight streaming into the hollow via that window was blocked out entirely. All that it showed now was a set of rippling black scales. Kale cursed under his breath, and dove out of sight. He hid on the other side of his table, his back to the open window. 

There was a thunderous boom a second later as Agathar fully landed, and Kale began to try and slow his breathing down. He listened in dead quiet as several smaller noises sounded from outside, Shades, most likely. He didn't have to guess very long until he heard them speaking. 

"We know you're in there, Falcon!"

"Come out and play!"

"We won't bite..."

A much louder voice chimed in, and Kale shivered at the sound of the Dragon.

"Move aside, and wait by the treeline until I call you." Agathar growled in a low voice, the ground thundering as he stepped closer to the hollow. 

Kale listened to the direction on the giant footsteps, his eyes darting around the room and his mind spinning while he formulated a plan. 

"Kale. That is your name? I know you can hear me... we've been watching you all night. We know you're still inside. You and I.... we need to speak." Agathar began, slowly circling the hollow, sniffing at the covered windows.

Kale watched the shadows move on the other side of the windows, keeping track of the Dragon while he slowly began to move. Deathly quiet, the small falcon edged his head over the table to see the only uncovered window empty. Knowing he had only a moment, he delicately stepped over to it, and pulled the moss down over it. When he knew he was safe from being seen, he began watching the shadows as he moved again.

Agathar whisked his tail over the side of the hollow, leaning his massive head down to try and gaze inside. "Don't drag this out... I could burn you out of there..."

Kale froze in place. He could. He should have by now, but he hasn't... which means... 
Putting on his brave face, Kale stood up straight, having worked out the first thing he needed to. "Oh, beg your pardon... is that you out there my King? I'm afraid I've just woken up..."

Agathar's eyes shimmered with humor as he moved again, spying the now covered third window. He decided to play along. "Is that right? My apologies, I hadn't realized, I would have been quieter... Will you come out now? I have something very important to discuss with you..."

Kale quietly stepped over to his bookshelf, sliding one of them out. This one too, was hollow on the inside. Without a sound, he pulled a small golden square from it. This Raven device was covered in glyphs and shimmered with a dull yellow light. Kale moved over to his desk and placed it just out of view. "Important enough for the King himself to visit me? I'm honored, truly! You'll have to excuse me for a moment, I'm not at all fit to be in your company! Perhaps a moment to prepare?"

Agathar pulled his head away from the hollow, and looked back at the treeline to the cluster of hawks waiting. Without speaking he motioned with his tail towards the door. "Oh, of course. Take all the time you need to get ready, but I will say, it won't make a difference. Eventually you'll simply have to come out, regardless of how you look."

"I agree." Kale called out, pushing his nest aside quietly and removing the Tracking Disk. He stepped over to a small leather satchel that leaned against the doorway. Just as he placed the Disk inside he heard the approaching birds. He moved slowly to the desk, and began placing several scrolls and bundles of parchment into his satchel, taking care not to touch the small gold square he placed earlier.

"I'll be ready in a moment, there's really no need to have your friends help me with the door. In fact, if I were them I wouldn't touch it at all..." Kale packed the last of his essentials, and left the rest hidden as best as he could.

Agathar turned to watch his Shades come to the doorway, and narrowed his eyes in scrutiny as they stepped up to the hollow door. Just as he was about to open his jaws and warn them, the first bird touched the door hook and immediately let out a scream. The black hawk scrambled backwards, clutching his talon in agony. The others stepped several feet from the door.

Hearing this, Kale wrapped the satchel over himself, tucking the string that held it firmly under his left wing to keep his limbs free. It wasn't heavy, he noted thankfully, and his plan was coming together. "Ooh... that sounded painful. I did warn them!"

The falcon stepped back over to the mirror and slowly worked on pulling it off the wall. 

Agathar growled in frustration and pushed the birds aside with his tail. "You are out of time, Falcon! I will set your home ablaze if you do not come out!" 

Kale finished setting the mirror down at his desk, placing it towards the window, the small gold square just behind it. He carefully touched a talon to one of the glyphs on the side of the gold square, and watched as the lights began to pulse. He left the desk and moved to the opposite window, quietly reaching around the moss covering and undoing the latch. He backed away to stand again at the center of the hollow. 

"Okay Agathar! I'm coming out! I'm walking out of the front door!" Kale couldn't help but let out a small smile as he watched the shadow move. 

Agathar looked to the doorway, stepping a few feet over to be ready, when he 'realized' Kale's trap. The Dragon looked at the door for a moment, and grinned himself. "Alright... go on and come out the door then, I promise you won't be harmed."

The Dragon looked to his Shades and motioned for them to get back, expecting the door to spring open with a trap. 'Knowing better', he instead moved his head to the window closest to the door. Kale would come flying out after whatever trap on the door had sprung. This falcon wasn't as smart as he thought...

Just as Agathar's gaze met the window, the moss fell away. However, instead of a falcon escaping, the Dragon was met with a blinding ray on sunlight, causing him to roar and flinch backwards. A moment later, like a snake, he struck his head forward and snapped at the sunlight, his jaws crushing the mirror with terrifying might. 

At the same time, on the other side of the Hollow, Kale burst out of the third window, taking off with mad speed towards the open sky. In this same instant, the pulsing gold square on his desk began to vibrate. 

Agathar blinked the spots from his eyes, spitting out pieces of glass as he swung his head around the hollow. He heard the sound of something humming, and looked down at the desk in time to see the golden square begin to glow. His eyes shot open wide, and he pulled his head out of the hollow just as the glowing square violently exploded, engulfing the entire meadow in gold fire and knocking Agathar on his back. 

The Shade birds had been incinerated with the hollow, and the dazed Agathar struggled to roll over and stand as Kale climbed higher into the clouds, out of sight. Kale heard the Dragon's roar in the distance. He was furious, and unbeknownst to the falcon, impressed.

Kale flew as fast as he had ever flown, rocketing through the air and diving back towards the ground for cover. As he made his escape, he felt the satchel across his back buzz ever so slightly.
The Rifts! They're here! We can get the reunion underway! Well... Happy Hatchday after all! 

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

A few hours later, Black Spire

A thundering of wingbeats sounded as Agathar slammed to a landing on the ledge outside the top of the Spire, seething in frustration as he lashed his great tail back and forth. With a low grumble, he shook his scales and stomped into the archway of the Spire's top, entering a large and empty black room. At the center stood a large table, slightly curved upwards at the tips. Through the daylight seeping in from the various holes in the walls and ceiling, a haphazard scattering of papers could be seen laying about the table. These scrolls and notes contained various maps and plans, though Agathar swept them from the table with his tail without a care, waiting for the report from his commanders. 

As per ordered, each time Agathar left the Spire his return was to be met with a full report of any changes while he was gone, as well as updates on all the current news around the Pridelands. Usually Zarrock was first to arrive, but this time Agathar noted his absence with a low growl. He twitched the frills near his ears as he heard someone approaching from the smaller doorway opposite the landing arch, and swiveled his massive, still bleeding face to meet the first arrival.

Wildwing

Wildwing
~Mod-chan~

In walked Abanak, a large Crowned Eagle through this small doorway. Upon seeing Agathar's bleeding face, he faltered a step, immediately recognizing that all had not gone well with the business his leader had left to address. A split second later, his dark violet eyes reverted back to their cold, serious look. He continued towards the dragon, taking note of his apparent frustration. He would have to be extra careful with how he spoke.

As Abanak came within range of his king, he took a moment to pause and bowed to the large, mighty dragon.

Jaystep

Jaystep
Admin

Wildwing wrote:In walked Abanak, a large Crowned Eagle through this small doorway. Upon seeing Agathar's bleeding face, he faltered a step, immediately recognizing that all had not gone well with the business his leader had left to address. A split second later, his dark violet eyes reverted back to their cold, serious look. He continued towards the dragon, taking note of his apparent frustration. He would have to be extra careful with how he spoke.

As Abanak came within range of his king, he took a moment to pause and bowed to the large, mighty dragon.
(Ooh, I like it!)

Agathar let out a long sigh as Abanak rose from his bow, the dragon gritting his teeth. "Where is- ?"

Before the dragon could finish, a flash of violet from the landing platform outside answered his question. A moment later, Zarrock stepped into the room, flames swirling off of him and fading away as he returned to the form of a Harris Hawk. 

Zarrock opened his beak to apologize, but upon seeing the black dragon's scratched face he tilted his head in confusion. "The... falcon, did that? What happened to your face?"

Agathar swung his head around with lighting speed, stopping inches in front of Zarrock's face. "YES. That falcon wasn't as harmless as you cared to inform me. That is the last time I listen to your nonsensical council. I should have taken him by force."

Wildwing

Wildwing
~Mod-chan~

Abanak turned his head from the dragon to look back at Zarrock, raising an eyebrow at the hawk at his late appearance. His beak remained closed, even as his superior spoke. Foolish words, he thought.
He gracefully ducked in time for Agathar's head to swing past. Letting out a soft sigh, he stepped to the side and straightened up.
"What became of the soldiers that had accompanied you, your majesty?" the eagle inquired, the question a matter of business.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 24]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14 ... 24  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum